Mike P. Ryan writes and performs heartfelt songs about the emotions and experiences of everyday people. Born and raised in rural Oklahoma, Mike’s songs have a genuine, honest quality that reflects Mike’s humble roots and highlights his keen eye for detail. Aptly described as “a master storyteller” Mike’s music paints vivid pictures of the struggles and triumphs of day-to-day life with warmth and understanding born of life experience.
A prolific and highly respected songwriter, Mike has won a host of prominent national and international songwriting awards including First Place awards in The Mid-Atlantic Song Contest, The UK Songwriting Contest, and The Dallas Songwriter’s Association Songwriting Contest. Mike is a two-time finalist at the Kerrville Folk Festival’s prestigious New Folk competition and a Bronze Medal Winner in American Songwriter magazine’s Lyrics Contest.
An engaging live performer Mike entertains audiences at music venues nationwide. A particular favorite with folk festival audiences, he has performed at The Connecticut Folk Festival, The Dripping Springs Songwriter Festival, The Wildflower Music and Arts Festival, and The Tucson Folk Festival. Mike has opened for regional and national acts including Kipyn Martin, Michael Martin Murphy, and Sean Watkins of Nickel Creek.
Mike teaches songwriting seminars and workshops and is a frequent guest instructor at The Songwriter’s Association of Washington’s “Songwriter’s Toolbox” instructional series. When not writing, performing, or teaching he serves as a volunteer musician with Musicians on Call—a nationwide nonprofit organization that brings live music to the bedsides of seriously ill hospital patients. A combat veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan, Mike volunteers for a number of veteran-focused charities including The Warrior Music Foundation. His debut CD, American Tales, was released in 2015. His follow-up CD Left Behind is slated for release in the summer of 2018.
Contact and Booking: mpr3209@ gmail.com
Mike P. Ryan — Songwriting Awards and Highlights
- September 2014: Finalist/Performer, Connecticut Folk Festival Songwriting Contest, New Haven, Connecticut.
- May 2015: Finalist/Performer “New Folk” Songwriting Competition, Kerrville Folk Festival, Kerrville, Texas.
- October 2016 and October 2017: Performer, Dripping Springs Songwriter’s Festival, Austin, Texas.
- December 2016: 3rd Place Winner, American Songwriter Magazine Lyrics Contest, Nashville, Tennessee.
- January 2017: Gold Medal Winner (1st Place), Folk Rock/Americana/Roots Category, Mid-Atlantic Song Contest, Washington, D.C.
- May 2017: Finalist/Performer, Wildflower Music and Arts Festival Performing Singer/Songwriter Competition, Richardson, Texas.
- November 2017: Grand Prize Winner (1st Place overall)/Featured Performer, 2017 Dallas Songwriter’s Association Songwriting Contest, Dallas, Texas.
- December 2017: 1st Place Winner, Acoustic/Folk Category, UK Songwriting Contest, London, England.
- January 2018: Honorable Mention, Folk/Americana Category and Folk/Acoustic Category Mid-Atlantic Song Contest, Washington, D.C.
- May 2018: Featured Performer, Tucson Folk Festival and Finalist, Tucson Folk Association Songwriting Contest, Tucson, Arizona.
- May 2015: Alternate Finalist, “New Folk” Songwriting Competition, Kerrville Folk Festival, Kerrville, Texas.
- August 2018: Songwriting Round Performer, Smokey Mountain Songwriting Festival, Gatlinburg, Tennessee.
- September 2018: Finalist/Performer Connecticut Folk Festival Songwriting Contest, New Haven, Connecticut.